Mildura Arts Centre Regional Gallery
The Mildura Regional Art Gallery hosts a continuous program of exhibitions by Murray Darling artists and touring exhibitions of art, craft and social history that complement the important permanent collection. Call in and see traditional and contemporary works in all mediums by local secondary students, as well as established and emerging artists.
The Mildura Arts Centre permanent collection is one of the region’s best-kept secrets. See outstanding works from the foundation Elliott Collection including the largest single collection of paintings by Sir William Orpen, works by Sir Frank Brangwyn and a number of important Australian artists. Don’t miss Femme a la baignoire se coiffant, a pastel by French Impressionist Edgar Degas.
In 1944 Senator R.D. Elliott, owner of the Elliott Newspaper Group, bequeathed a valuable art collection to the Mildura City Council. The bequest was made on the condition that the collection stored and exhibited in a suitable building. In 1950 Rio Vista, the former home of WB Chaffey who was one of Mildura’s founding fathers, was purchased for £18,000 and converted into an art gallery. Several rooms, including the conservatory, were renovated so that artworks could be displayed. This conversion probably saved the house from demolition and the grounds from subdivision. Sir Henry Bolte opened the Mildura Regional Arts Centre on 22 November 1966.
Additional works bequeathed by Mrs Hilda Elliott in 1970 were added to the initial Elliott collection as well as works from other sources. In 2006 the Mildura Regional Art Gallery celebrated 50 years since its inception and of exhibiting great art.